Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) contains the omega-6 essential fatty acid GLA. Fish Oil contains the omega-3 essential fatty acids EPA and DHA. Intake of a combination of EPO and Fish Oil may increase blood levels of the essential fatty acids DGLA (dihomo-gammalinolenic acid, a metabolite obtained from GLA), EPA and DHA. This effect is not achieved by ingesting either EPO or Fish Oil alone. An increase in blood levels of DGLA, EPA and DHA may shift the balance of eicosanoids produced to those with anti-inflammatory activity.Indications
- To promote healthy triglyceride levels in healthy individuals.
- May shift the balance of eicosanoids to those with anti-inflammatory activity.
Adults and Children over 12 years: 1-2 capsules 3 times daily.
Contraindications and Cautions
- Ingredients in this product are derived from seafood. Persons who are allergic to seafood should exercise extreme caution. Caution is advised in patients with a tendency to oesophageal reflux and those with poor digestion and compromised gallbladder function. Concerns have been raised in the literature of the 1980s regarding concomitant use of evening primrose oil and phenothiazines. High doses of evening primrose oil may cause mild headache and nausea. Vitamin supplements should not replace a balanced diet. Discontinue 7 days prior to general anaesthesia.
Each capsule contains:
- Oenothera biennis (Evening Primrose) seed oil
standardised to contain gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) 50 mg 500 mg
- Natural Fish Oil
containing Omega-3 marine triglycerides 150 mg
as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) 90 mg
and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) 60 mg 500 mg
- d-alpha-Tocopheryl (natural Vitamin E 50 IU) 33.55 mg